Prof. Dairo, F. A.S
A Brief History of the Creation, Past and Current Leadership of the Department
The University Teaching and Research Farm hitherto referred to as the University Farm was established in May, 1997 under the Vice-Chancellor’s office. It was later moved in March, 2000 to the newly created Faculty of Agricultural Sciences. The pioneer Farm Manager was Mr. Sola Waya who retired in January 2007.
Mission Statement of the Department
We are involved in Agricultural research activities and training and management of University agricultural enterprises for the production of cash and arable crops, livestock, fisheries, snailery and apiary, forestry and other agricultural produce
General Information on the Framework and Services of the Department:
The University Teaching and Research Farm provides the following services to the University among others:
1. Conduct and coordinate Faculty of Agricultural Sciences Students and Staff research activities.
2. Train and supervise all students’ practical especially during SIWES, SWEP etc.
3. Establish demonstration farms (Oil palm and Plantain plantations, Maize, Cassava, Yam, Cowpea.
4. Establish Crop Type Collections.
5. Raise and rear animal husbandry such as Poultry, Piggery, Cattle, sheep and Goat, Rabbitary etc.
6. Establish and stock the Fish ponds, Apiary (Bee-keeping), Snailery etc.
7. Establish and maintain Agro-forestry.
8. Post-harvest activities and marketing of farm produce such as Gari, Palm oil, Eggs, Broilers, Fresh maize and Maize grains, Fish, Beef, Pork, Honey, Vegetables etc.
General Information on the Organs and Activities of the Department
The University Teaching and Research Farm is headed by the Farm Manager under the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences. The Farm Officials include Farm Director, Farm Managers, Farm Officers Cadre, Farm Superintendent Cadre and Agricultural Assistants. The Farm officials work in relationship with Academic Staff of the Faculty towards coordinating Students and Staff Research activities in the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences as well as training of Agricultural Sciences Students during SIWES, SWEP etc. The Farm officials also demonstrate to students, the innovation and practical essence of agricultural enterprises in the areas of cultivating, nurturing and commercialization of Cash and Arable crops, Livestock (Poultry, Piggery, Small and Large Ruminants), Fisheries, Snailery and Apiary, Forestry and processing of agricultural outputs and produce.