Prof Akintayo, E. T.
General Information on Office of Research and Development
The Vice –Chancellor at the April, 2012 Senate meeting announced the appointment of Prof Akintayo, E. T. as the Director in charge of the newly reorganized Research and Development arm of the University. This led to the birth of the Ekiti State University Office of Research and Development (EKSUORD). EKSUORD is to assist the University to improve on the perceived traditional mandate of a typical Nigerian University (production of manpower) by redirecting the intellectual and technological resources within the University to break the circle of historical under-development in the state. This means that EKSUORD is expected to harness the intellectual and technological assets within the University and use them to improve the overall social, economic and industrial advancement of Ekiti State in particular and Nigeria at large. In a simpler language the EKSUORD shall proudly exhibit and advertise the potentials of the research results within the University.
General objectives of the EKSUORD
(i) Provide strategic vision and direction for research and development in the University
(ii) Formulate new research policies for the University and undertake periodic review of existing ones in line with international best practices
(iii) Coordinate the translation of research findings within the University to tangible products that can solve societal and global problems
(iv) Initiate research in any identified areas of urgency to solve particular problems for the University, Ekiti State and the larger society.
(v) Undertake training e.g. seminars and workshops that the University, State government, industrial and other agencies may want to carry out to improve individual and organizational performance
(vi) Source and disseminate information on local, national and international research grants
and fellowships to the University community.
(vii) Administer all local, national and international research grants and Fellowships available
to the University
(vii) Administer the editorial review and production of main University`s journals
(viii) Coordinate research discoveries and inventions, patenting and commercialization of research products.
(ix) Ensuring the development and implementation of an effective funding policy and system which sources research funds from internal and external sources
(x) Collating research performance data and establishing information management systems for internal and external assessment and compliance
(xi) Ensuring the establishment of research outputs management and archival systems that allow access and further dissemination of University research findings
(xii) Engaging at a high level, local and external stakeholders for purposes of sourcing research funding, sourcing research projects, driving the innovation process and marketing the University’s research outputs and competencies
(xiii) Ensuring central support and central coordination of the autonomous research management and administration in the Departments, Schools, Faculties and Administrative Centres
(xiv) Establishing and implementing a management system that provides for continuous improvement of research quality
The list of objectives above is not exhaustive. However, for supporting its activities and coordinating its work across the University, the Division will require an optimally sized but highly trained team in the Office of Research. It needs to be stated that the Deans of Faculties, Heads of Department and Schools, Directors of Institutes and Heads of Administrative Centres will be the ones to supervise and manage actual performance of research among their staff. The Dean of Graduate Studies will coordinate and manage all functions for postgraduate education. These University officers need to work closely with the EKSUORD for the overall realization of excellent research outputSpecific Objectives Of The Eksu Office Of Research And Development
(i) To increase EKSU staff participation in research
(ii) To improve and enhance EKSU student research training
(iii) To improve internal and external research funding in EKSU
(iv) To increase EKSU international collaborative research participation
(v) To enhance the impact of researches carried out by EKSU staff and students
(vi) To promote the integration of research and teaching in EKSU
(vi) Actualize the relevance of the Ekiti State University to the economic and technological development of Ekiti State
(vii) Enable the commercialization of research and development outputs, for the benefit of the researcher, the University, and the wider community
The Office of Research and Development has five subunits as follows:
(i) Seminar, Workshop and Capacity Building Unit.
The unit will undertake training e.g. seminars and workshops that the University, State government, industrial and other agencies may want to carry out to improve individual and organizational performance. It will in particular collaborate with competent organizations within and outside Nigeria to organize continuing Professional development courses and capacity building of the University `s members of staff in computer literacy, data processing, computer software applications (e.g SPSS, Excel, Endnote etc) to enhance their research capabilities.
(ii) Publications Unit
As it moves towards being a research intensive higher education tertiary institution, the Ekiti State University will enhance its publications programme by floating two University journals to start with, one Science based and the other Arts based. Through these journals, the University will position itself strategically to raise its research publication profile, thereby greatly increasing its potential to be visible to the international scholarly community. The journal publications shall be funded by TETFUND.
(iii) Research Grants, Scholarship, Fellowship & Research Information Unit.
This unit shall :
– Source and disseminate information on local, national and international research grants and fellowships to the University community.
– Administer all local (e.g University Research Grant, University Development Grant etc), national (e.g.TETFUND Research Grant, TETFUND Conference Grant etc) and international research grants and fellowships (e.g. Alexander von Humboldt, Japan Society for Promotion of Science Commonwealth, Full Bright, etc) and Fellowships available to the University.
– In collaboration with the training unit, organize workshops for members of staff of the University on Proposal development and networking for grants/fellowships and training of staff on funding opportunity identification
– See to the establishment of Research Fund and Internal approval funding system
– Review of funding proposals for compliance and Intellectual Property
– Coordinate Project Management and Reporting (technical &financial)
– Review of funding policies, funding strategies and funding guidelines
– Close out of projects
(iv) Product Development Unit
The unit shall coordinate the translation of research findings within the University to tangible products that can solve societal and global problems. It shall also coordinate research discoveries and inventions, patenting and commercialization of research products. Among other things, it shall perform the following:
– Collection of literature and exhibition on appropriate technology for small and medium scale industries.
– Collection of small scale agricultural processing and farm machineries.
– Fabrication, testing and promotion of equipment and machineries.
– Assemblage and production of industrial and agricultural packages for research and upgrading of indigenous technologies. The mechanical workshops and laboratories situated in the Faculties of Engineering and Science respectively shall be expanded and upgraded to fulfill the above objectives
– This unit shall also collect data on social and economic parameters of the state, assemble information on labour, population, gender related issues, nutrition and the family. The data will serve as a bank in providing information to the government, entrepreneurs, industries and other organs that are relevant in mobilizing human and material resources of the state for the economic and social advancement of the people.
(v) Research Management Unit
The unit will be responsible for initiating research in any identified areas of urgency to solve particular problems for the University, Ekiti State and the larger society.
The unit will also maintain a digital archive of all research and development efforts of all academic members of staff in the University. As the EKSUORD office grows and become strengthened, the unit will further see to Research Chairs, Visiting Fellows, Post doctoral and Senior Fellows, Collaborative research partners, and Research Institutes within the University.
|Name OF Staff||
|Prof. E. T. Akintayo||
|Mr. J. A. Adeniji||
|Mr. A. J. Adeyanju||
PTO-1 (Tel)- (Programme Officer)
|Mrs. F. F. Daodu||
Admin. Officer(Product development, Research Publications and Management)
|Mr. E. O. Ajayi||
H E O (Grants, Scholarships and Fellowships)
|Mrs. C. O. Olubusoye||
|Mrs. J. O. Oladipo||
Clerical Officer I
|Mr. P. A. Oginni||
Clerical Officer II
|Mr. P. A. Adeniyi||
Clerical Officer II