Provost College of Medicine
Professor Kehinde Oluwadiya
A Brief History of the Creation, Past and Current Leadership of the Department
The idea of establishing a College of Medicine at the University was mooted right from the take-off of the University in 1981. Indeed, not only was its suggested location and phasing spelt out in line with the then multi-campus philosophy of the University then in vogue, its primary objectives, curricular development, enrolment structure, manpower scenario and cost implication was all outlined even at that stage. As things later turned out, while the faculties of Arts, Social, Education, Social Sciences, Engineering, Law, Management Sciences and Agricultural Sciences took off, the College of Medicine took-off about two decades after the idea of setting it up was mooted.
The College of Medicine, Ekiti State University was established in October 2001. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the State Government suspended the scheme and promised to review it at a later date. The Provost of the College then was Professor D. D. O. Oyebola while Mrs. B. A. Oloketuyi served as the Secretary. The State Government in 2007 decided to reinstate the College and reflected its desire to do so in its 2007 and 2008 budgets by making fiscal provisions for the take-off. The State at the same time established the University Teaching Hospital which took off on the 14th January 2008.
The Council of the University consequent upon the advice of the Visitor to the University, decided to appoint a Provost for the College of Medicine with the hope of starting academic programmes in Medicine with effect from 2009/2010 session. The statute of the College was signed into law by His Excellency, Engr. Adebayo Olusegun Oni, the Executive Governor of Ekiti State on the 28th November, 2008. The Provost, Professor G. J.F. Esan, a Specialist Hematologist assumed duty on April 14, 2009 and commenced preliminary works for the take-off.
Objectives of the College
- To provide courses of instruction leading to the award of Degree, Diplomas, Certificate and other University distinctions in the Medical and such allied professions as the University Senate may prescribed;
- To provide special training course,, whether leading to University distinctions or not, taking into account at all times the requirements of the State University of Education and Ministry of Health;
- To conduct research, with particular reference to research in the field of Medical Science;
- To provide health care at primary, secondary and tertiary levels throughout Ekiti State and its environs;
- To organize conferences, seminars, study groups and other similar activities in the field of Medical Sciences.
College Faculties :
- Faculty of Basic and Allied Medicine – Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pathology (Morbid Anatomy), and Physiology2. Faculty of Clinical Sciences – Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology and Surgery.