The Department of Business Administration was set up in the year 1996 under the then Faculty of the Social Sciences and later became a Department under the autonomy Faculty of Management Sciences in 2000. The Department has since then been producing competence graduates in the field of Business Administration.
The programme is designed to meet the requirements spelt out below:
(1) An introduction of students to the world of business
(2) Directing academic focus and activities on making specific impacts on business enterprises in Nigeria
(3) Correlating and redefining business issues and management in addressing challenges of national development
(4) Articulating NUC minimum standards stipulated for the training of business graduates
(5) Facilitating academic and professional standards stipulated for membership of relevant Professional bodies such as Nigeria Institute of Management (Chartered), Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (Nigeria), Chartered Institute of Personnel Management and Institute of Chartered accountants of Nigeria
To be a top class institution for the pursuit of excellence in knowledge in the field of Business Administration.
The objectives of the Degree Programme are:
(i) To make students become aware of the vital roles played by business Organizations in national development
(ii) To imbibe the students with a general knowledge of the principles and practice of management
(iii) To develop a knowledge and understanding of the concepts, Problems and Practices of management.
(iv) To introduce students to the skill of analyzing changes in market technology, considering legal, social and political factors in the environment.
(v) To equip students with a thorough knowledge and understanding of the responsibilities typically exercised within the business functions.
General Services and Academic Programmes
Programmes available in the Department would lead to the study and award of a B. Sc Degree in Business Administration
(i) UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME
UTME: Candidates seeking admission to the four year Degree programme should possess a Senior Secondary School Certificate of Education or their equivalents with at least five credit passes which must include English Language, Mathematics and Economics or Commerce and pass at the University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) with the cut-off points as may be determined by the University from time to time. Candidates must also pass the Post UTME screening interview conducted by the University.
DIRECT ENTRY: For the three year programme, a candidate is expected to meet the minimum entry requirements into the University as well as possess in Economics and Business Management at the Advanced Level or possession of a minimum of Upper Credit in National Diploma in Business Studies. Candidates must also pass the Post UTME screening interview conducted by the University.
Registration of Courses, Enrollment and Duration of Study:
The undergraduate programme in the Department can be completed through a 4 year course of studies. See the regulations on course registration and enrollment for full details.
Minimum Units per semester = 12 units
Maximum units per semester = 25 units
Only in exceptional cases will students be allowed a maximum of 3 extra credit units, making the total maximum units allowed to be 28 credit units per semester. However, necessary approval must be sought before such is granted.
(ii) POST GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- All candidates must have five credit passes including English language and Mathematics at the O’Level, as basic requirement.
- Candidates with Bachelor Degree from approved University must obtain a minimum of Second Class Lower Division.
- All candidates must have minimum of one year managerial/administrative experience.
- All candidates must have attained a satisfactory level of performance in the University admission test/interview.
- All candidates must have demonstrated adequate intellectual capacity, professionalism, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials during the University admission test/interview.
- Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma from a recognised University and who passed with a minimum of Upper Credit may also be considered for admission, provided the University’s matriculation requirements are satisfied.
- Candidate with good quantitative background and some basic knowledge of Business Administration and Economics will have added advantage.
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) from recognised Polytechnics with a minimum of Upper Credit.
- Holders of HND with Lower Credit, First Degree holders with a Third Class and professional qualification in administration disciplines are eligible for admission, but must go through the mandatory Postgraduate Diploma in the University, provided they meet the basic University entry qualification.
- First Degree holders with a third class and HND holders with Lower Credit will require a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Management Sciences related discipline.
MBA PROGRAMME (FULL TIME AND EXECUTIVE)
Admission shall be open to:
(i) Graduates of Ekiti State University with a minimum of 2nd Class (Lower Division) degree; and
(ii) Graduates of any other approved University with a minimum of 2nd Class (Lower Division) degree.
(iii) Holders of Higher National Diploma from recognised Polytechnics with a minimum of Upper Credit.
(iv) First Degree holders with a third class and HND holders with Lower Credit will require a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Management Sciences related discipline.
In addition to qualifications in categories (i) to (iv) above, all applicants must have five (5) O’level credits including English and Mathematics. Satisfactory performance at the Entrance Examination administered by the Ekiti State University is mandatory.
Requirements for Course Work and Minimum Units To Graduate
|S/N||PROGRAMME||DEGREE AWARD||MINIMUM NUMBER OF UNIT REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION|
M. Sc. PROGRAMME (FULL AND PART TIME)
- Minimum of five (5) credit pass, including English and Mathematics and any two Social Sciences subjects, obtained at one sitting in ordinary level (O’ Level) or its equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degrees not lower than Second Class Upper Division in relevant area such as Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Marketing, Actuarial Science, Insurance, Industrial Relations and Economics.
- Only in exceptional cases will candidates with Second Class Lower Division be considered and in such cases, the candidate should have cumulative GPA of not less than 3.00.
- Candidates with first class (Hons) in areas outside management sciences, but with PGD in Business Administration may be considered.
- Candidates will undertake and pass a pre-admission selection examination and/or interview.
M. Phill/Ph.D and Ph.D PROGRAMME (FULL AND PART TIME)
- Possession of university matriculation requirements of five (5) Ordinary Level credits, English and Mathematics inclusive in WAEC, NECO and other recognized and approved examination as adopted by the Senate of the University.
- For M.Phil/Ph.D programme, candidate must possess M.Sc. in Business Administration with specialization in Management, Marketing, Organizational Behaviour, and Operations Research, with weighted average of 50% – 59%. M.Sc in related Management Sciences may be considered, but such candidates must have a Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
- For the Ph.D. programme, candidate must obtain a minimum weighted average of 60% (B) at the M. Sc or M. Phil degree in Business Administration.