We produce teachers at graduate and post-graduate levels, who have the mastery of various subjects, combined with a sound academic and professional training in Education.
|1||Prof. B. K. Oyewole||Deputy Director||08068316513|
|2||Mrs. O. B. Omoregie||PAR/Secretary||08034897365|
|3||Mrs. F. M. Anisulowo||Principal Accountant||08063153403|
|4||Dr. (Mrs) G. A. Ojo||Assistant Registrar||08034411460|
|5||Mr. B. I. Asoge||Senior Internal Auditor||08067231465|
|6||Mr. Salami Olajuyigbe||PEO Account I||08101667608|
|7||Mrs. C. O. Babayemi||Principal Data Processing Officer I||08037631950|
|8||Mrs. C. O. Yusuf||Principal Data Processing Officer I||08038327715|
|9||Mrs. O. E. Omoniyi||Executive Officer||08060024654|
|10||Mr. T. J. Adeniji||Transport Officer||07037947458|
Brief History of the Department
The Institute of Education was established in 1987/88 academic session under Ondo State University Act 4 subsection 1 of 1982 as an Educational Service Unit of the Faculty of Education and the University. It has in collaboration with the Faculties of Arts, Science and the Social Sciences been running a number of programmes that are both academic and service oriented. The programmes being undertaken by the Institute of Education include:
1. Diploma in Mathematics Education Programme runs for two academic sessions on full time basis for WASC\GCE (O\L) holders with deficiency in Mathematics at the credit level.
2. B.Ed. (Sandwich) Degree Programmes in English, Yoruba, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Integrated Science, Geography and Religious Studies. This is a four-year degree programme for NCE holders.
3. Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) Degree Programme for two years (of two long vacations and the intervening period for Teaching Practices) for graduate teachers without qualifications.
4. M.Ed (Sandwich) Tests and Measurement, Educational Management, and Philosophy of Education for two years (of two long vocations and the intervening periods for practicum and thesis writing).
The Institute turned out its first set of 132 B.Ed and 7 P.G.D.E graduate in April 1993. While it’s first set of M.Ed. Students in Guidance and Counseling started completing their programmes in 1991. In addition to the above programme, the institute organises workshop, seminars and conferences for various categories of teachers. It also attends the joint Consultative Committee on Education (JCC). Among the Directors that had managed the Programme were Dr. M.F Alonge, Dr S.O. Bandele, Dr. S.A. Adewuya, Dr, A.A. Akinlua, Dr. E.B. Kolawole, Dr. G.O. Oyinloye, Dr. O.V. Adeosun and the current Assistant Director Dr. (Mrs.) B.K. Odu.
The Sandwich Programme was one of the programmes that were under the control of the Director of the Institute of Education until year 2002 when the University Management carried out a re-organisation which made the Sandwich Programme a Unit in the Faculty of Education under the auspices of the Dean of the Faculty of Education. In another re-organization carried out by the management of the University, a Directorate of Part-Time Programmes was established in 2005 and Sandwich Programme became a Unit under the Directorate of Part-Time Programmes.
The Sandwich programme runs programmes that have been accredited for the Faculty of Education.
General Information on the Framework and Services of the Department:
Objectives of the Programme
The objectives of the Sandwich Programme are in line with the main objectives of the Faculty of Education. The main objectives of the Faculty is to produce teachers at graduate and post-graduate levels, who have the mastery of various subjects, combined with a sound academic and professional training in Education. Such teachers, by the end of the programme should be ready to:
a. Teach their chosen subjects effectively in secondary schools, teacher training colleges and tertiary institutions.
b. Infuse creativity into teaching, research and learning,
c. Utilise their specialized training to give leadership in critical assessment and the development of self-discipline.
d. Inculcate in the students the spirit of enquiry and creativity and the ability to think critically and effectively in solving personal and other problems, and add to the existing volume of knowledge in the society.
The admission requirements follow the general admission requirements of the University. Each department has its special admission requirements.
1. The general admission policy states that a candidate must have at least five credit passes at the G.C.E ‘O’ level or its equivalent. Applicants with requisite qualifications may be considered for admission by Direct Entry. Provided the five subjects are obtained at not more than two sittings.
General Information on the Organs and Activities of the Department
The programme are:
Curriculum Studies: Science Education – Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Integrated Sciences and Mathematics. Education Arts – English Language, French Language and Yoruba Language
Educational Foundation and Management: Educational Management, Adult Education, Business Education, Economics Education, Health Education, Physical and Health Education, Social Studies, Accounting Education, Political Science, Geography, History and Religious Studies.
Guidance and Counselling: Guidance and Counseling and Nursery and Primary Education
Post graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
Master of Education Degree (M.Ed): Educational Management, Guidance and Counseling, Physical and Health Education, Philosophy of Education, Language Education, Tests and Measurement, Curriculum and Instruction, Science Education, Educational Technology, Social Studies Education and Educational Psychology.
a Passes at credit\merit level in two subjects at the NCE with GCE ‘O’ level credits or its equivalent in three subjects, including English Language. A pass at NCE general English is acceptable in lieu of Credit pass at the SC\GCE\O\L.
b. Two passes at the advanced level GCE with SC\GCE ‘O’ level credit passes in three other subjects.
c. Three passes at the advanced level GCE with SC\GCE ‘O’ level credit passes in two other subjects.
d. OND with Merit\Credit passes in relevant teaching subjects.
e. Pass at credit\merit level in at least four subjects including English and Mathematics at the GCE ‘O’ level with any of the following is acceptable for Computer Science Education: Diploma in Data Processing from recognized Universities, ND (Computer Studies) and NCE (Computer Science)
f. Any other relevant qualification approved by the Senate of the University of Ado-Ekiti.
a. Pass at credit\merit level in one major subject in the NCE with GCE ‘O’ level credit or its equivalent in four subjects including English Language.
b. Passes credit\merit level in two major subjects at the Associate Diploma in Education level with GCE ‘O’ level credits or its equivalent in three subjects.
c. Passes at the NCE with GCE ‘O’ level credits or its equivalent in five subjects, including the NCE courses.
d. Passes at credit\merit level in two major subjects in the NCE with GCE ‘O’ level credit or its equivalent in three subjects.
e. Pass at credit\merit level in at least four subjects at the WAEC\GCE ‘O’ level with City & Guilds of London Institute Certificate is acceptable for Computer Science Education.
6 – Year Programme
a. Passes at credit\merit level in five subjects including English at WAEC\GCE ‘O’ level.
b. A credit pass in Mathematics is compulsory for the science based courses.
1. Candidates for Economics, Geography and Political Science, in addition to general requirement must possess a credit in Mathematics.
2. A credit pass in Mathematics is compulsory for any of the Science based courses.
3. For B.Ed Educational Management: five O\L credits at not more than 2 sittings which must include English, Mathematics and Economics.
4. For B.Ed Adult Education, Nursery & Primary Education: five O\L Credits at not more than two sittings, including English Language. A pass in Mathematics is acceptable.
5. For B.Sc (Ed) Agricultural Education five credit passes, including Agricultural Science, English and Mathematics and one other science subject, preferably Biology or Chemistry